Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Date Night - Zapatista and Les Miserables

With my momma J Since Doug wasn’t interested in seeing Les Mis, I took my mom instead. It was nice to be able to sit down and actually talk to my mom. I mean, I see her at least three times a week.  But the five minutes before and after she comes and goes from my place doesn’t exactly count as quality bonding time.

Dinner…I had a year old gift certificate for Zapatista from Agatha and figured I better use it.  Apparently Emilio’s Tapas closed and now it’s Zapatista's Lincoln Park location. It was Chicago Restaurant Week still, so for $30 each, we were both able to get any appetizer, entrée and dessert from the regular menu. We. were. stuffed. Here's my review...

We started with mini beef tostadas and shrimp ceviche. The five mini tostadas were delicious and could’ve been my meal! On the other hand, I didn’t care for the itty bitty shrimp in the ceviche. For entrées, my mom had red snapper and I had Corona battered Mahi Mahi tacos topped with spicy citrus slaw. The tacos took me right back to the beach at Cozumel where I enjoyed a Sol in the sun four years ago *aahhh* To end our meal, my mom ordered the orange flan (meh) and I had the Tres Leches cake. The cake was sooo good. A huge dollop of light whip cream with toasted coconut shavings over a light, moist cake sitting atop a delicious sauce. Yum yum yum!

I seriously wanted to unbutton my jeans, I was so full. And I couldn’t even button my coat when we left! On the way out, my lightweight mother said the Cadillac margarita was “the best margarita of my life!” I tasted it, and it was pretty smooth. But she also followed that comment up with “I’m used to getting margaritas from Red Lobster and Chili’s.” haha she’s silly J

And a show…Admittedly, I didn’t really know what the storyline was. So I read the story for Act I and Act II and was so confused! But when it came to the show (which was longer than most), I understood just fine. The solos, duets and trios were amazing, as was the frequently changing set. And I was impressed with the child performer!  I kept trying to picture what this little boy’s life doing Broadway shows must be like. 

My favorite show is still Rent, but this one was a contender. Other shows I’ve seen are Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, The Producers, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Stomp, Jersey Boys, Chicago and Lion King. I wonder what next year’s will be!  What’s your favorite show?

0 comments: